- The Master of Science Degree in Special Education provides specialized training in educating students with disabilities.
- With increased demands for special education teachers in our schools, this program is designed for certified teachers seeking additional Pennsylvania certification in special education Pre-K-8 or 7-12.
- Candidates will explore assessment and instruction strategies and techniques for high-incidence, low-incidence and emotional support students with disabilities; develop skills for writing and implementing individualized education programs, evaluation reports and behavioral analyses; and investigate the laws and legislation relevant to special education.
- Candidates participate in dual-placement, high- and low-incidence practica to establish a firm understanding of the instructional concepts taught during the program.
- Candidates are given opportunities to collaborate as a community team member and as a pre-service teacher to encourage high- and low-incidence students and their parents to work together to produce and implement individualized education program goals, activities and objectives.
- Candidates will utilize research-based effective instructional strategies and diagnostic tools to demonstrate an understanding of child development while meeting the needs of various exceptionalities.
- Candidates graduating from this program will be prepared to take the Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests (PECT): Special Education Pre-K to 8 or 7 -12.
Click HERE for more information and to view the curriculum.